Mandy Hubbard is the founding literary agent at Emerald City Literary.
Mandy began her publishing career on the other side of the desk–as an author. Her debut novel, Prada and Prejudice, was published by Penguin’s Razorbill books imprint in 2009, and went on to appear in TIME magazine and Entertainment Weekly. She has since written 10 other novels, published by Harlequin, Flux, and Bloomsbury. Her work has been translated into a half dozen languages and optioned for film.
Soon, Mandy found that she was just as drawn to the business side of publishing as she was the creative one. She considered a career as a literary agent, and tested the waters by interning for an established New York City agency. The internship confirmed she’d found her passion, and soon after she sought out an agency interested in adding a new agent to their roster.
Mandy joined D4EO Literary Agency in February of 2010, where she began building her list. A few months later she sold her first book in a four-way auction. The following year, she brokered her first six figure deal. By the end of 2015 she’d sold nearly 70 novels to major publishers, and was ready to launch Emerald City Literary Agency.
Mandy still juggles writing with agenting, and wouldn’t want it any other way.
She is seeking: middle grade novels, young adult novels, and adult genre romance.
She is not the agent for children’s picture books, nonfiction, screenplays, or books for adults which would not be published into the romance section.
While Mandy will consider anything within MG, YA, and romance, some of her current wishlist items are:
- Projects by authors of color or with LGBTQ+ themes.
- Epic fantasy and Sci-Fi for teens
- Contemporary romance (dark or light) with a great hook for YA
- Historical or Contemporary romance for adults, the sexier the better. (Including Erotica!)
- Unreliable narrators, mysteries and thrillers
- Historical MG or YA inspired by or based on real life tragedies/historical events (Example: BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY, CHAINS, etc).
- Anything with royalty
- MG or YA with unusual formats or timelines
- MG or YA survival stories a la Oblivion Road, Hatchet, Etc.